“Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honor me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precepts of men: therefore, behold I will proceed to do a marvelous work among this people, even a marvelous work and a wonder… And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.” Isaiah 29:13-18
Time For The Lord To Work:
- We are living in just such a time as the prophet describes.
- Thousands make a profession who have no possession
- Much churchianity – little Christianity.
- Beautiful forms of religion, but denying the power of God.
Laxity in morals, selfishness, greed, and hypocrisy in the high-seats in the synagogues.
We preachers have failed to stem the tide of worldliness which has swept into the churches and threatens to sink them.
We cannot do it by the ordinary means employed. The people who most need the message of warning from the faithful pastor seldom hear it, and if they do, and he speaks out against their pet sins and their secret faults with directness, he is soon seen packing his goods to take a journey.
In just such a time, the Lord asks us to step back and let Him take the work in hand, and by marvelous miracles of power demonstrate His presence and awaken the people out of their lethargy, indifference, and unbelief.
For this reason He asked me to scrap all of my old sermons and methods and the learning acquired by many years of patient study, including twelve years in several of our best schools and seminaries, let Him give me it new message of power and life, and “confirm the Word with signs following.” So many say, “If this is the work of God, why do not all ministers recognize it, and cooperate in it?” I do not wish to cast any aspersions on my Brethren, but I suspect it is for the same reasons that the religious leaders of the Jews, with rare exceptions, failed to recognize the work of God in the time our Lord was on earth, and He said of some,
But he said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.’”
“Neither will they be persuaded though one rose from the dead.”
Christ, The Only Divine Healer:
- Divine Healing is the work of God, just as much as the creation of the world and the saving work of Christ our Lord.
- Divine Healing without power is not healing at all.
- How strange that anyone should dare in our times to raise objections against the work of Jesus Christ in opening the eyes of the blind, the ears of the deaf, and making paralytics walk!
- I am no healer, and am as human as anybody. I never claimed I could heal anybody, never thought I could. There is one Divine Healer, His Name is Jesus Christ! He commanded His followers to heal the sick, but it was in HIS name and by His power.
A Warning to Opposer’s:
Those who oppose this work are not opposing this ministry, but the Lord Jesus Christ; who is saving scores of souls daily and is healing all manner of sickness and disease among the people, exactly as He did in ancient times.
It is His way of reviving His work and building up His cause and it cannot be done in the churches with the backing of the religious leaders, thank God, it can be done without them. 1 would rather have my right arm severed from my body than to oppose what Christ Himself is doing, lest haply 1 “should be found fighting against God.” (Acts 5.39).
Let us now take up some of the objections commonly heard against Divine Healing.
Why All Are Not Healed some ask why all who come to us for prayer are not healed.
- I answer, because the Lord’s requirements have not been fully met.
- Many come forward for salvation in revival meetings and some in the regular church services, who are not saved.
- If you pray for the salvation of a soul and fail to get him saved, you have made a more serious failure than I have if I pray for a thousand to be healed and they die without healing, for the salvation of the soul is infinitely more important than the healing of the sick.
However, the quickest and surest way, and in many cases, the only way, to get people saved is by the use of the key of Divine Healing, which the Lord put into the hands of the church.
The church lost it, and now that it has been found, refuses to take it back.
Healing May Be Gradual:
Some ask why all who are helped are not perfectly and instantly and permanently healed.
- I answer that the Lord frequently begins a healing work to encourage the person to go deeper into His love and grace, and to acquire a greater faith, and get a spiritual blessing, and then complete healing from all bodily afflictions.
- Partial or gradual healing may prove a greater blessing than instantaneous, complete healing.
- The Lord wants you to learn to walk with Him. Mk 8:22
- If He healed you instantly and completely, you might forsake Him, run away from Him.
- Many do not have faith to take complete instantaneous healing. Many remark to me, “This trouble was long in coming on, and I have had it for many years.
Spiritual Preparation Necessary:
- All who come up in the healing line should be in the services several days to hear the Word of God, see people healed before their eyes, and bear the joyful testimonies of those who have been healed.
- They should have time for private confession of hidden sins and for the reading of God’s sweet promises.
- When you have a promise to stand on, and real faith, you are not disturbed by symptoms – you are staking all on the Word of God, and ask for no other evidence.
- So many have been soaked in unbelief so long it takes a long time to get it all out of their systems.
- Ministers who should be “examples of faith” as well as piety, sometimes are so full of prejudice and unbelief that they took with pity, if not with contempt, on people who believe that God will fulfill His gracious promise with reference to prayer.
- You must have faith enough to take healing from the Lord, and enough to stand in the midst of a cold, unbelieving, cynical world.
- And what is worse, too often the churches that bear the holy name of Christ discount, discredit, disclaim, and disown the Work of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- If the apostles should arise from the dead and want to preach here and heal the sick, exactly as they used to do, there is more than one church in this city that would not welcome them.
A Final Word:
In conclusion, let me say that Divine Healing is being revived in our times, not by the churches as such, but by the Lord Himself through humble servants who are not afraid of the sneers of their fellows, and are not seeking popularity, or pleasure or ease, and are not afraid to stand alone with the Lord, who Himself was despised and rejected by the very people He died to save.
- It is spreading over the whole earth.
- God is using this ministry to awaken a cold, worldly church, and prepare a people for His soon coming.
- It is the master-key to the human heart.
- It is the method of Christ and of the apostles and of all the early preachers of the Christian church.
- It is the key which the Lord is using today to unlock the hearts of men, and to bring in the greatest revival ever known in this world.
- Those who oppose it are not opposing a doctrine or a person.
- They are fighting against God, and standing in their own light. In all humility and love we would warn them who oppose this work of God, in the words of Paul in the synagogue at Antioch of Pisidia:
“Beware, therefore, lest that come upon you, which is spoken in the prophets; Behold, ye despisers, and wonder, and perish, for I work a work in your days, a work which ye shall in no wise believe, if one declare it unto you!” (Acts 13:40-41)