Prophecy & Preparation.
There is nothing more encouraging than knowing that God has got ‘your number’.
In 1980 when Callie and I went to Christ for the Nations Institute, Dallas Texas, in the USA we received a prophetic word from Dr. Dick Mills.
I will never forget the evening meeting on 1st of October 1980. I was wearing a dark blue jersey sitting among 1200 students with Mrs. Gordon Lindsay (President of CFNI, & wife of Gordon Lindsay) and Dr. Mills was on the platform.
Mrs. Lindsay would pick out a student and Dr. Dick Mills would begin to prophecy. He would quote the same scriptural verse in prophesying and give about three to four different translations of the same verse one after another. For example he would quote it in KJV, then the Amplified, then NIV and explain what God is saying through the verse to you.
The fact that Dr. Mills had a huge positive reputation as a prophetic ministry (Eph 4:11 prophet) to the church added massive weight to moment and privilege.
“The brother over there with a dark blue jersey … where are you from?”
I stood up almost to attention, as I was fresh out of a 14 yrs. stint in the military. “I come from Zimbabwe in Southern Africa ma’am”.
The place went very quiet and Dr. Mills kept looking at me then began to speak.
“Jesus is really doing something inside of me … and He shows me that you really have been persecuted and that you went through some fiery trials getting over here … (many scriptures were given). Keir because you have such a love for me I am going to deliver because you have known My name; and He gave me this that He is going to give you the gift of faith, and so His faithfulness for you, and that when you go back to (Rhodesia) Zimbabwe you are going to be changed into another man. The Spirit of the Lord will come upon you and you will prophecy and be turned into another man.”
On 13th January 1981, Dr. Bill Hammond came to the school to teach and God had these words:
“I will put the words into your mouth. You will have the gift of faith, healing and deliverance, … miracles will be seen as you go”.
What a delight to have these words that shape, direct, and enforce your calling. I remember I was so ecstatic for a week. I then sought direction from some of our teachers at the school: Mike Massa and Dutch Sheets.
What do you do with them?
As a result of the prophetic I learned that there are instructions or disciplines that we need to adhere to. I thank God for my military training.
- 1Tim 4:14 “Do not neglect the spiritual gift within you, which was bestowed on you through prophetic utterance with the laying on of hands by the presbytery. v15 (Darby trans.) Occupy thyself with these things; be wholly in them, that thy progress may be manifest to all. (NASB). Cultivate all these practices; live by them so that all will see how you are advancing and growing.” (Voice trans.)
- 2Tim 1:6 “For this reason I remind you to kindle afresh (revive) the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands”.
Soldier – lets compare some parallels of gifts or weapons of the Spirit to a Barrett M82 (50 cal sniper rifle).
- Do not neglect: your weapon is always within arms reach. Not suggestion, it is a command.
- Gift within you: be constantly conscious of Him.
- Bestowed upon you: He is not yours – host the gift. You have rank, office.
- Through prophetic utterance: given supernaturally, you will only know how to release the gift in the supernatural. Only in the theater of war is a weapon is used.
- Occupy thyself: stay focused, study them – like study the full potential characteristics of the 50cal
- Be wholly in them: know the full potential of your gift (weapon) Fire the weapon in all conditions, positions – ready for every season.
- Cultivate: think on, pray into, practice, endurance. A soldier does NOT entangle himself with every life – stay out of ‘church politics’.
- Kindle afresh: “Revive” – ONLY word in New Testament where the word “revive”, relates to you.
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me to set the captives free”.